Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Horse vs. Sheep


The other day I went for a trail ride with punky. It was awesome. It was really sunny so we decided to go down towards the beach. It was a bit too windy to go on the beach so we just rode in between fields in the surrounding farms close to the beach. We rode in the evening so the sun was in its golden hour and it was a very dramatic setting seeing the sun’s rays over the ocean while riding in the hills. It was quite the adventurous ride as well. In the beginning, Punky was slow and he was a bit tired so it seemed he didn’t want to ride for long. That changed once he heard a dog barking, he suddenly got really alert and was a bit scared. He was more scared because he couldn’t see the dog and we were riding alone so he there wasn’t another horse there to make him feel more assured. He suddenly got more energy but he didn’t want to move. He was determined not to move, so after a while of trying to persuade him to move forward I jumped off and lead him past the house with the barking dog. It was funny because once I got off him and was leading him then he had no problem and wasn’t scared at all. After that little encounter we continued riding. There is this hill that we always run up and I let punky gallop as fast as he wants, he absolutely loves it. Since he is a very smart horse he remembered this hill, so when we came close to this hill he got very exited. He just couldn’t wait to run up that hill. It was an awesome feeling letting him just run as fast as he can up this long stretch of hill in between some fields. It was good for him to stretch his legs.

On our way back home we had another little encounter. As we were riding down this road some sheep came running around the corner as fast as they could.. Punky was terrified. He stopped dead in his tracks and didn’t know what to do. Then as the sheep came closer punky backed up, but when the sheep realised how big punky was they started to turn back and run the other direction. Then came the farmer around the corner herding the sheep, I believe they were moving the sheep from one field to another. So as the farmer starting herding the sheep back in our direction and running straight to punky, punky decided to whip around turn in the opposite direction and get out of there! He ran in the other direction for a bit stopping every once in a while to see if the sheep were still coming towards him. Initially as he started running I stopped him but then decided to let him run a bit so he would calm down. He only ran about 20 meters and then he stopped himself. As he stopped I turned him around and jumped off. Once I was on the ground he calmed down more as he could see me and I could comfort him. As the sheep continued on by he stood still for me but was very scared. I just smiled because I thought it was hilarious that Punky who is quite a strong horse with a lot of muscle is completely terrified of a bunch of small sheep. Granted there were more of them then of him but still there must have been about 10-15.. so not that big of a herd. After the event I just laughed as punky still seemed in horrific shock of the event and was acting like he was scarred for life. I swear he was saying ‘oh my gosh WE COULD HAVE DIED’. Seeing such a macho horse freak out about a bunch of sheep and be all dramatic about it just made my day. I love my little punky.   

So I thought that was a funny little story to share with you guys. Wish i took pictures of our ride but i'll add some other pictures.
I haven’t done much today, just packing and planning. Can’t wait for Italy and the hot weather! But I have to say it is quite warm here in Norway as well.

Anyways hope you have an adventurous and funny day like I did, and remember stay golden ;)

Quote of the day: “A single rose can be my garden... a single friend, my world.” Leo Buscaglia

-          Emilia

No comments:

Post a Comment